View Single Post
Old 2012-06-26, 10:27   Link #327
Vena
Carpe Diem

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuromitsu View Post
Kagura's "yay, go Amata!" was weirder - I can see where it came from, it simply wasn't developed enough.
I don't think any amount of justification can really make this work in a single episode (and the DC is likely not going to add anything worthwhile if the first was any indication. I'd expect that they simply cut out all of the gattai sequences and a few minor details to save time... like maybe whatever happened to the whole of Altair?). Just the same as it was silly how, in fractions of one episodes, we went from Amata trying to kill Kagura over his dead parents, to Mikono, to not trying to kill Kagura anymore all of a sudden. The ending, and really the last two episodes, were riddled with characters dancing to Okada's (she wrote both) tune. If she had introduced the change to Kagura anywhere between 22-25 (where he's freed from Mykage's control and has regained his memories) it would have probably been easier to swallow but, instead, we go from Kagura's readiness to watch the world explode to, a couple of minutes later, him not caring about Mikono anymore and just handing her over. Zessica goes from not even putting up a fight to somehow suddenly becoming an inconvenience to Mykage. We go from Mykage being able to readily mind-control Kagura to not using it at all in the final battle... and letting them live for some reason. Mykage goes from needing a body to suddenly not needing a body just cause the plot demanded. Blah blah blah.

What they may have been trying to accomplish with Kagura and what seems to have gotten lost in the translation, is that I think Okada was trying to drive home the idea from the last episode. Amata is in love with Mikono of now (though she (Okada) kind of undermines this with the whole *i was born to suffer to feel like sylvia* that... I don't even care enough to talk about it) while Kagura is in love with Sylvia of then. He was projecting Sylvia onto Mikono and, when he magically realized it wasn't quite the case, he made his big proclamation of "I love 12000 years of Sylvia, you love Mikono of now, go my bro!" So, had it been just a little better handled, you'd have Kagura content with loving the past, and Amata content with loving the present. Keeps true to their characters.

Heck, just make it Kagura giving the *born to suffer and be alone* thing to Mikono as an apology to Sylvia, since he was (until the last episode) always portrayed as the more Apollo figure. Make that his closure of sorts, and have Amata move on with *now*.

It really does come off as if there was a last minute *keep them alive!* change with Kagura and Zessica.