View Single Post
Old 2012-09-05, 15:42   Link #30386
jjblue1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renall View Post
Also, and I just have to keep pointing this out: You can't define personality death as a personality "never acting again" or never being able to act again, because in literally every instance we have of personality death it's possible for a personality to come back and they do come back. If you can (and do!) come back, your personality isn't really dead. Dead things don't come back to life. Calling it "death" is cheapening death. "Death" is when Shannon kills her body. Shannon personality-dying is just going to sleep. At best, she's dormant and could return under some circumstances, but may not; when she shoots herself in the forehead, she's D-E-A-D. There is a difference, so it's unfair to describe both as the same thing.
To be honest 'resurrection' exists even in real life.
Skipping the ones done by Jesus a person can be declared 'dead' and then 'revived' by quick medical aid. It's just that in this case death generally last few minutes (and as of late the definition of dead had been updated in many countries to make sure that it means 'irreversible death' while previously you were dead when your heart stopped and you weren't breathing anymore... no idea if the definition had been updated in Japan as well).

Due to this Ryukishi might have thought it was perfectly fine to have a type of death from which you can be resurrected.

Now... I still don't like it though I guess part of the problem is that Umineko is written as such we think we can trust Beato on a certain level... that's actually more than we should give her credit for.

In more than one Christie's mystery the culprit is also the narrator.
The narration is reliable exept for the parts in which the narrator/culprit avoided facts like 'after this I killed the victim' or 'I pretended to speak at the phone with a certain guy but I was actually talking with someone else' or 'once alone I removed all the evidence of my trick to kill the victim' and so on.
In short it skipped some parts and was misleading.

I guess Ryukishi pushed it to an extreme and thought it was a fair trick because, despite all the ramblings about trusting Beato... well, Beato is the culprit for her own admission so we should have known better than to trust her blindly even when she was using red.

I still don't like it, I don't know if I'll ever like it but I'll give Ryukishi the benefit of doubt on the topic he thought it was a legittimate trick to use a misleading definition of 'death'. I guess I just won't agree with him.
jjblue1 is offline   Reply With Quote