View Single Post
Old 2012-09-29, 16:57   Link #282
Adigard

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
If by "casual viewer" you mean anime-only viewer, I don't think it's really that hard.
We've got tons of 'anime only viewers' (yourself included) who have no interest in the novels, who are perfectly capable of picking up what's happening. Some of whom see things even more clearly than the novel readers who are rather constrained by what they know. Again, show don't tell doesn't get used very often... I'm assuming this is why. I'm not defending a thesis here, I'm just saying that as much as people complain about show's "telling" them everything... it's possible there's a reason that tired olde trope exists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadratic View Post
I think people call this a straw man? How many of these applied to Yui's development that ahelo was raising. And by development, we're talking about the connection between Kirito + Asuna & Yui which didn't connect with/convince a few viewers, not just ahelo.
It was love at first sight for Kirito and Asuna, therefore viewers were expected to follow suit. And that's it. Either you played along or you didn't.
Hmmm... absolutely none of them? Didn't you read the bits of my post you linked? I mentioned it in that very paragraph. He didn't enjoy what he saw of the connections... why should I defend the connections when I can defend the rest of the episode? I'm not going to tell him he's wrong for not enjoying something I enjoyed... that'd be dumb of me.

I'm just going to point out that a lot of other 'world-building' things happened, so it's not the end of the world if you don't enjoy the 'character-building' things that did happen.

Last edited by Adigard; 2012-09-29 at 17:13.
Adigard is offline   Reply With Quote