View Single Post
Old 2012-03-13, 03:52   Link #80
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Soldier View Post
Because you can't use science to explain paranormal vision.
I can't help but chuckle whenever someone brings up this age-old, but seriously flawed, "explanation". Ghosts don't exist because they aren't scientific. Oh really? How do you prove a negative? How do we know if it isn't because we haven't actually found a way to measure and predict the phenomenon?

In a similar vein, how do we know that "paranormal" vision isn't actually possible? How do we prove a negative?

I find that the argument often comes up because people aren't willing to explore possibilities, and use "science" as an excuse for not doing so. That is in itself a failure to apply the scientific method, which is to come up with hypotheses and to test them with experiments.

It's a bit like insisting that evolution isn't possible because the Bible says so. Just replace "evolution" with "paranormal vision" and "Bible" with "science" in this case.

...but all that is not the point. As things stand in Ep10, I would say that Mei's all-seeing fake eye is a plot device I dislike and would prefer had not been introduced, because it detracts from the story's overall plausibility, unless someone can convince me otherwise.