View Single Post
Old 2013-07-09, 17:08   Link #8061
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander View Post
The thing is, I respectfully disagree. That's not how I look at it, because I think that's a dead-end argument and misses the core of the issue. Which is Lelouch himself.

Lelouch voluntarily chose to embrace punishment. I disagree with his views, but I understand them. For better or for worse, the other characters weren't going to do that.
A poor choice as far as storytelling goes, if you ask me. We all know reality doesn't care about retribution or justice, that's not really how you make a good story end from where I stand. I believe the whole R2 and ZR in particular are a case of poor storytelling, and one of the problems was that karma houdini issue. I consider most of the cast who are left behind irredeemable, some more than Lelouch, so if Lelouch didn't fake the whole thing, ZR looks like a "bad guys win, epic trolling" ending, a thing I wouldn't value in any conceivable story.

I don't disagree with Lelouch that much. I might find the whole ZR plan flawed to the point of being blissfully retarded in its supposed result (peace, after all that, with these people left alive and in charge, seriously), but I don't doubt Lelouch, besides doing something nice in the end, may indeed have wanted to die for his own reasons, an acceptable outcome after all the things he's done. I'm also pretty aware that there was no way the other characters would punish themselves for anything, such as they are. That doesn't make it any better really. Of course, if Lelouch faked the whole thing, that would be another matter.

You seem to believe otherwise, so I guess we can't really do much about it.