View Single Post
Old 2011-01-24, 05:59   Link #80
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irisiel View Post
I wonder... after having watched episode 3, and seen all the Faust symbolism I came up with some theories:

Spoiler for Random Theories:
What a daring assumption. What I most enjoy is your audacity by suggesting that Faust is actually now betting with the Serpent, mirroring Mephistopheles betting with LORD, yet totally different in circumstance.
The crucial problem that I see here would be that in the various renditions of Faust, it is either that Faust is damned or that Faust is saved at the last moment, without any indication of future development. If we assume that Faust in effect becomes yet another Mephistopheles in order to achieve his own redemption, then under your assumption, Kyubey would only be a servitor to, well, Faust/Mephistopheles. On that Kyubey may very well have been harvesting "as the crop is ripe for the taking", we must wonder then why is it that Kyubey has not Mami's soul gem with him after this episode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decagon View Post
I find it hard to trust or condemn a character who has not demonstrated proper motive... [snip]

In Kyubey's case:
He tries to explain MG'ing to Madoka and Sayaka.
He tries to encourage Madoka to form a contract despite saying he isn't allowed to (see the dream from ep 1 and the sweet talking in ep 3).

Supplemental to Kyubey,
Kyubey's first line about making a MG contract is that he will fulfill "any one of [their] wishes", and he repeats this adding that he can "make miracles happen." He follows this up with the price which is the duty to fight witches. [snip]

I think he has the ability to make witches--no middle step--by granting a curse. Since it is explicitly stated how witches are born and since he says this in the same breath as how magical girls are born, this raises a red flag. We have no guarantee that Kyubey or one of his cohorts (if any exist, or a rival even) isn't going around granting curses for people who want naughty things done to other people. If there is a system in place, perhaps he makes MGs until there aren't enough witches, then goes and makes witches until there aren't enough MGs. Considering that MGs seem to be unable to "help people" in the same way that witches can harm them (ie, death), any such system that intentionally generates witches would suggest Kyubey is an immoral existence.
On Decagon's post, the part where he raises that Kyubey is an immoral existence as he may simply curse individuals at will and he offers no tangible mean for magical girls to 'help people' in the same capacity that witches can harm them is most interesting to me. What I have to say in reply is that it remains to be seen whether if Kyubey does indeed have such ability to curse individuals, and then we perhaps can assess his role in this system of equilibrium.

In response, I will post out what I have organized in all as the questions that plague me regarding Kyubey. I did not assume the possibility of Faust having such power.

On Kyubey and what he might have wagered with 'GOD' which kickstarted this whole mess... and also on this Madoka show here be Faust:

A. This system has been on-going for some time:
1. Kyubey has been a part since time immaterial.
2. Kyubey only began his involvements at a later stage of this 'game'.
3. The system has already racked up a heap of dead magical girls and witches, with no end to this meat grinder in sight.

B. Assuming that there is a 'GOD' that Kyubey would bet against.
1. Kyubey is subject to the Serpent
a. Does he have the power of attorney to act on behalf of the Serpent?
b. Does he align ambition wise to the interests of the Serpent?

I. If Kyubey's interests ever leave its alignment to that of the Serpent, will he be struck down mercilessly?
c. Is Kyubey in competition with other servitors of the Serpent?
I. If so, what are the other servitors like?
II. What are the acts of Kyubey's competitor(s)?
2. Kyubey is subject to none.
a. Any competitor(s)?

C. Assuming that Kyubey does not really have such an arrangement at all.
1. Kyubey is the creator of this system of equilibrium between witches and magical girls.
a. (See: A)
2. Kyubey is merely an enforcer of a pre-existing system of equilibrium.
a. Kyubey is an arbitor of Ex factis jus oritur.
3. Kyubey is thrusted into this contingency of sorts.
a. The work of unknown perpetrator(s) is the casus belli for this conflict between magical girls and witches.
b. Kyubey is simply responding to events beyond that of his control.

D. What compensation does Kyubey receive for partaking such an enterprise?
1. Proving an ideological argument in his favor regarding humanity.
a. That humanity will succumb to its vices.
b. That humanity is of worth and can see salvation, at a price.
c. Since everything created, In turn deserves to be annihilated (Mephistopheles, Faust, Part I, Scene III)

2. Tangible benefits, be they materialistic or in competitiveness.

E. On the criteria of being able to enter such a bargaining table with 'GOD'
1. Does the consignees of the magical girl contract have any ability to elevate themselves to that of an active stakeholder?
a. Slaying sufficient number of witches would eventually yield such an outcome.
b. Some other means are at work for one to become as Kyubey is.

2. What would be put forth as the betting chips by those that can enter this bargaining table?
3. Can the parties devise a game of their choosing, and not merely that of magical girls vs. witches?
a. Will there be change of scenes, mirroring Goethe's Faust, Part II (Tragedy of Faust), where the participants would travel about before coming full circle?

F. Potential outcomes.
1. Mirroring the various renditions of Faust.
a. The damnation of all magical girls, with Mephistopheles claiming victory?
b. That it ends in an inconclusive fashion, with 'Gretchen' declare saved?
c. 'Faust' finding salvation with a last-minute intervention by the Heavens.
d. Mephistopheles Kyubey is doomed to act as the servant or assistant of the magical girls, bounded by his contracts with them.
e. Status quo antebellum.

2. Gen Urobochi decides to make Faust 2011 'unique'.
a. All must die. Apocalyptic conclusion.

It would be enough for the depressing things in life to only exist in reality.
It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

Last edited by panzerfan; 2011-01-24 at 06:23.
panzerfan is offline   Reply With Quote