View Single Post
Old 2012-03-26, 22:02   Link #80
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkel View Post
I'm completely fine with the "extra" being Reiko, but the "astonishing connection" between her as the assistant teacher and her as Kouichi's aunt was just stupid. The anime never really hinted once at a suggestion that they were the same person, and she acted totally differently in both settings... it felt like a shoehorned connection meant to create a stronger emotion and reaction in the fact that Kouichi cares for her/her for him, and all of that relationship stuff that was elaborated in the novel/manga.
Since I had the day off, I decided to sit down and rewatch the whole series from the beginning. There are actually a ton of clues, but (A) they're limited to the first half of the series, and (B) they're so subtle that they're only obvious in retrospect.
  • Several times people ask Sakakibara if he thinks Mikami is hot, and he gets embarrassed.
  • Mochizuki worries about Mikami's health and Sakakibara responds in a way that suggests he has more than speculative knowledge of hte anser.
  • At one point Reiko isn't feeling well at home and Sakakibara talks to her about the tough time she's having, which in retrospect is clearly a reference to the deaths of students.
  • Kubodera tells the class that Mikami has agreed to ignore Sakakibara despite the problem it poses for her.
  • The night before Kubodera goes crazy, Reiko talks to Sakakibara at home, which suggests the additional countermeasure may've been working but failed because someone in the class broke the embargo against talking to Those Who Do Not Exist.
  • During the beach trip, Sakakibara slips up and refers to her as Reiko in front of Mochizuki and Akazawa, and Reiko responds with an annoyed, "What?" after which Sakakibara apologizes.
  • Immediately afterwards, Akazawa makes a sarcastic comment about Reiko's driving which implies that she's known Reiko for a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
Sakakibara rekilling her was a really dark scene. I can logically deduce, but cannot understand what's going through his head at the moment.
I think it was, "I love my aunt, but I'm pretty sure I can get Misaki to put out if the curse ends."