View Single Post
Old 2010-04-30, 22:58   Link #36
DJ Trouble
Pajama Party!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post

1) It's a translation.

2) It's a light novel's translation. What are you expecting? Haruki Murakami?

3) It's a light novel's barely edited translation -- the editor says he or she only looked over the translation once. Of course it's going to be rather literal -- and that includes the rather awkwardly placed "work-in-progress" notes, which weren't in the original novel.

4) What is so offensive about typical-teenager Kyousuke?
1 and 2 don't matter. I've read other light novel translations before. I didn't know that it wasn't edited. The fact that it's not might make a difference. I'd have to see an edited version and compare it, but I doubt it would change my opinion that much. Also, you're way of listing things is annoying. It isn't necessary to point out obvious facts in a condescending manner.

I didn't say anything about being offensive or offended. I said I feel really bad for Japan, as in sympathy. I don't think it's necessary to go into the failings of the usual "average japanese male protagonist", but this one seems to be failing especially hard, and the author seems to expect the audience to relate. Couple that with whatever popularity this series has gained and you get my previous reaction, "ugh."

Also, "..." guy. If you disagree with something I said, that's fine, but it's really hard to discuss "...." That's why the character limit is there in the first place.
DJ Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote