View Single Post
Old 2012-08-19, 22:52   Link #52
Ledgem
Love Yourself

I've had my opinion changed my this thread. If the source is originally 720p and it's just being upscaled, then you might as well download the 720p version and just allow your system to do the upscaling.

One of the nice things about anime (and animation in general, as compared with "live action") is that there's not really a ton of detail to begin with. You can tell when the lines are sharp or blurred, but you don't notice an absence of, say, skin features or cloth textures.

The argument for 1080p is about future-proofing. Look at the high pixel-density ("retina") displays that Apple is coming out with; it's only a matter of time before over monitor and television manufacturers do something similar. One would expect that larger videos will handle upscaling to those resolutions more gracefully than smaller videos. In practice I don't think it's a huge issue, though. I've played 720p anime episodes on my iPad 3 (the iPad's resolution is roughly 2x larger than a 720p video) and it looked fine to me. I didn't scrutinize it, and it's true that the physical screen size isn't terribly large, but it didn't look particularly different compared with when I watch on my 15", 1440x900 standard screen.

I'll be sticking with 720p.