View Single Post
Old 2012-08-20, 10:30   Link #54
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
Ok let's just clear some things up.

The first one is that screen size doesn't have much to do with resolution! Screen size is measured in inches (or centimetres sometimes but that's mostly for TVs) and it's just how physically large your monitor actually is. While that's important it's not directly relevant to this discussion. To just tackle the subject lightly let's say you should choose the size of your TV/Monitor to be just large enough so you can see all of it at your usual viewing distance but that's not all it takes and stuff like the type of content you're watching matters as well. Like I said, it's not really relevant to this discussion.

One thing that is important is how resolution relates to the screen size AND your viewing distance. The further away from the screen you are the LESS resolution you actually need to have a nice viewing experience (aka: being unable to see individual pixels). This means that while 720p is great for your 32 inch TV in the living room (where you stand far away from the screen) it's absolute crap when looking at a 24 inch monitor on your desk.

The second thing I want to clear up is that the file format doesn't have much to do with the video encoding. avi, ogm, mkv and mp4 are all file formats (or more precisely containers) and don't indicate much in relation to video encoding. Video encoding is the job of the video codec which range from the old Mpeg2 and DivX (and XviD, mpeg4) to the newer h.264 with stuff like Ogg Video somewhere around there. Nowadays most mp4/mkv files are encoded using h.264 which is a bit hard on old (over 5 years) computers. Imho the file size and video quality gains in h.264 mean that there's not much reason to choose older codecs over it nowadays but on the other hand there's not much reason to drop XviD on low resolution encodes since the gains aren't that visible in those cases. But that's beside the topic.

(and yes, I know some of what I said isn't 100% correct but it's good enough for now imho.)

*snip*
Dextro, I’ll agree with all you said since I’m not really a techy person and you know more than I do. What I said earlier is related to Liddo-kun’s question: He distinguished between HD 720 (I guess he meant either HD MKV or HD MP4) and AVI (most probably he meant the non-HD ones). Thus, I only answered it based on my own experience after comparing it many times since MKV files became popular. The result: almost all (non-HD) AVI video files that I encountered look worse than the HD MKV files. So far, never once I found a non-HD AVI version that looks as good as the HD MKV version (let alone better). That’s all I can say. I don’t know the exact details.

As for the >20 inch TV size that I mentioned, that’s just example. Of course I know that TV size has nothing to do with resolution (your distance in watching it has). That’s why I gave the >20’ TV example as the ideal watch in the regular living room, not on the desk.

And yeah, Relentless already said it all. So, no need for me to continue this.

Last edited by Obelisk ze Tormentor; 2012-08-24 at 07:11.
Obelisk ze Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote