View Single Post
Old 2015-04-08, 13:45   Link #56522
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehawk View Post
- ...should I be worried that the reason I'm having so much trouble writing my current fic is because it's relatively more lighthearted than my previous works?
No, because I have a light-hearted story set against a dark origin with a dawning background.

There was a war, a really terrible one, it is why the world looks so different now, but things are now better. And it keeps getting better.

Then, when something threatens that recovery, there be heroes willing to defend it in their own ways.

Really, Ichika spends all of 2 lines in the novel mentioning the Great Wars, and that is about as much I was going to talk about it in Vandam I, because it is about the heroes, always.

Even in Vandam the Origin, it is also about the heroes, where a most unlikely character, a part time exotic dancer, uses her wits to survive and unwittingly becomes the idol of a nation.

That to me defines whether a story is truly dark or light, to what extent is the hero able to bring a satisfying conclusion. Grimdark is about phyrric victories with tremendous costs; my work is about exceeding what came before and achieving what is thought impossible, a good ending for everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireminer View Post
... Why should every story be started with a great war (far over) between Russia, Chinese and American? Can't anyoen think of something new?
I'm pretty sure I said it was North Korea who started the Great War to the north, which was at the epicenter of the White Knight incident. And I even pointed out that Jong eventually bombed Washington, a feat that he accomplished with external help that breaks the limits of reality... which is a recurring theme throughout the ENTIRE of Meisterverse alternate future. Where the impact of IS is so far reaching that status quos are upturned and settling in a drastically different balance of forces.

(Spoiler: Which, sort of justifies the kind of lengths the normally kind and gentle Ai-hime was willing to go to, to stem even minor transgressions and leakages of information.)

Both Great Wars were started by existing flashpoints from our world being given weapons they were never meant to have, and set loose on a rampage. There is no reason for Russia, China or the US to fight each other, and they never do or did. Sure I paint them more like snobby know-it-alls milling about a buffet table in a 6 star restaurant comparing the size of their car, but that's just politics, each one is looking for maximum gain at minimum cost while doing their best to show off.

Remember, present day IS has the exact same UN Security Council members as during the Great Wars, and in our time. Open war between the 3 powers trying to win favors in Asia does them no service, and does not make any sense.

I did however, changes allies a lot. NATO agreement collapses from Republican withdrawal of US forces; this was based on real world policies that were touted by several Republican hardliners during the last and current preparations for election. The EU cosies up with China as a result which was a throwback to some video game plots. Meanwhile, Russia continues to stew in their little corner of the globe like a sulking bear, but since no one is poking the bear, the bear hasn't struck anyone yet.

There are many good things to come from this terrible age. ASEAN breaks free from foreign meddling and establishes itself as a superpower. In fact, Meisterworld sees the appearance of THREE new superpowers. The first was India which being right smack in the middle was never touched by Caliphate attack before it was halted and later proved valuable to pushing back the Caliphate. The 2nd was the ASEAN Foundation as earlier described; and 3rd was the West Arab Emirate Solidarity which is a trade agreement and defense arrangement between nascent progressive democracies that were previously under dictatorships and theocractic rule.

Several allies do grow closer. Korea as a landmass no longer exists, but there is no split between Koreas any more. The US and Israel become even closer. The EU has merged into an indistinguishable entity. Even the world as a whole grows closer as they start to form a common culture. Sure, its just IS and many elements of Japanese pop culture gaining a worldwide following thanks to Tabane's meddling, but still, an entire generation of youth around the planet grew up on a freer more accessible internet and now have very common traits and less xenophobic to one other.

Bearing in mind that each one has several named characters, my brain sometimes strain under the weight to keeping up this LoGH tier story.

And then there is the good 10 years after all of this, during which 3 little girls grew up in comfy environments, without for want, and decided to run for the stars, without knowing that first step into the glass slipper called IS would make them quite the Cinderella.

I hope that clears things up.

EDIT: Edited out some very nasty words. I'm sorry for losing my temper...

Last edited by MeisterBabylon; 2015-04-09 at 01:54.
MeisterBabylon is offline   Reply With Quote