View Single Post
Old 2015-04-11, 21:48   Link #56538
wavehawk
Some say I'm the Reverse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Orange View Post
Just a suggestion, wavehawk. How about finding and playing a game you can enjoy, it might rejuvenate your brain a bit. Works for me sometimes.
- Used to do this. In fact most of my better fics (IMHO) were written when I was playing a game at least somewhat related to what I was writing. Most of my espionage/cyberpunk-related fics usually involved playing MGS or Deus Ex for example.

But the issue is that my current laptop can't run games (It's mainly for internet browsing, work, fanfic writing and the occassional video), and...there's really no game that fits the feel of what I'm trying to do with my fic--yes, I know there are Iron Man games but I find they're not as good or immersive as I'd like. As previously mentioned I've never tried to write a superhero-ish themed story before and I'm finding that I've been hitting the wrong notes in terms of delivery.

There aren't a lot of good superhero games IMHO. At least, not superhero games wherein you actually feel that you ARE the superhero and are experiencing what it's like to be that hero. (so I won't include the LEGO, Disney Infinity or web-based DC/Marvel games here) There's the Batman Arkham games which are fantastic, but don't really fit what I'm writing currently (and as mentioned won't run on my laptop). The Iron Man games seemed to try this but were severely lacking (The upgrading system could have used a lot of work, and they could have put in a lot more). The Green Lantern game was...okay, better than the movie at least. Haven't played the Captain America Winter Soldier or Hulk games.

--Let us not talk about Superman N64. PLEASE.--

I'm annoyed because there's no real basis for what I'm writing. I mean, nobody's ever made a decent game for some heroes that I think would be good material for such an experience like The Flash for example--I know there's a running/racing game on mobile for that, but it's basically a temple run game, not a real experience. An Ant-Man game could work given the upcoming movie--an action puzzle game wherein you have to grow or shrink depending on hwo to solve the problem. Or Green Arrow--you could probably even cheat and use the Arkham game engine and base it on the Arrow TV series (cheap, but if done right it'd be worth it). Or a Guardians of the Galaxy game that plays like Mass Effect.

Anyway, I'll work somethign out eventually. Until then:

Last edited by wavehawk; 2015-04-11 at 22:01.
wavehawk is offline   Reply With Quote