View Single Post
Old 2012-02-10, 15:11   Link #198
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiibi View Post
Really now?

I better put this show on my watch list!! XD
Yeah, I'd say Chiaki is fairly tsundere, he's also a bit OCD. Nodame's the opposite... SEE THE SPARKS (of love) FLY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
It should be on everyone's watch list. And I agree with Kirarakim, there's no way I would call Nodame Cantabile anti-feminist. Nodame isn't an obvious standard-bearer for feminism the way Saiunkoku Monogatari's Shurrei or Hataraki Man's Hiroko are. But Nodame's career plans and development as a musician are important themes throughout the show. There's no way she can be seen as just Chiaki's doormat; if anything those roles are reversed from time to time like this:
I don't think the female characters have to be competent or successful for a show to be feminist. I think the main requirement is that the female character has to be a) multidimensional and b) active.

For instance, I would consider Madame Bovary to be feminist (or not anti-feminist), the central character, Madame Bovary, is intelligent, and yearns for an exciting luxurious life inspired by the novels she reads, all the while she's married to a boring husband. So in order to live up to those dreams, she has extra marital affairs, and accrues mountains of debt in order to live out her fantasies.

Madame Bovary is neither good or bad. She does many bad things, but does so for reasons we can understand. Something that's feminist features realistic multidimensional female characters, and just as "male" novels can feature incredibly flawed male characters, so should they contain flawed female characters. I really should read madame bovary (I've been meaning to for a while)

The key thing is that they treat female characters as they would treat male characters. The female characters are not passive participants.

There's a strange thing that happens with female characters and their "goodness". We never require male characters to be "good role models" we love Macbeth for his ambition and viciousness, we love Don Quixote for his idealistic madness. And yet when we talk about female characters we often include phrases along the lines of "she's a great role model", like female characters need to have moral worth to be good characters.

So I think Nodame is a great character, who passes a feminist test, She has talents, she has goals, she's unique, and she grows. In terms of Romantic comedy she's great (we're not looking for Madame Bovary style train wrecks in such a genre ).
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote