Thread: Licensed Saki manga
View Single Post
Old 2013-02-22, 12:31   Link #3060
Serperior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladezer View Post
Wouldn't a Big 4 Winds and Big 3 dragons be easier to detect, since well you'd be discarding all your sequence tiles?

I found it on page 116, 4th post down. It's details were about the counter she came up for Takami's yakuman. I really would like to use this on the saki wiki to help outline Hitomi's skill.
Well, yes, generally an open yakuman hand is one of the easiest to finish, but also easiest to detect. Kokushi Musou is one of the easiest close hand yakuman to detect since you are basically discarding any non terminal nor honors tile.

O-oh, I'm flattered you're going to use my post but remember that it's quite lacking information. (I can't count fu and han D but feel free to use it!

Here are the advantages of riichi:
1. You can get an additional yaku (or a yaku if you have none)
2. Ippatsu becomes a possibility (increased yaku) [e.g. A hand with lots of dora without any yaku is basically useless, but with riichi, it can become a mangan hand... add iipatsu and it becomes a baiman [depending on the doras though])
3. Uradora. The more kandora there is, the more uradora! (You may become like Awai and have a single 1300 hand turn into a 16000 hand!)
4. Generally, smart opponents fold. Hisa used this scare tactic into making Hajime give up her dealer turn during the prefectural match. It was an empty riichi some more!
5. If you are in last place, riichiing is usually a way to get higher scores. That's why Mairu riichis here and there during the match when she usually wins with cheap 3900 hands because she has nothing to lose. (Although Hitomi did that during Takami's match when Hitomi knows that Takami had a yakuman hand. A direct yakuman hit to Hitomi can effectively bust out Shindouji which is not a good technique )

Here are the disadvantages of riichi:
1. Your hand is fixed. If you riichi on a hellwait, you cannot modify your hand whatsoever. Unless you are Hisa, hellwaits are not usually successful.
2. Your defense becomes 0. Even if you get a good wait, a faster opponent can ron you. Awai's double riichi + kandora is really strong but she still lost a considerable amount of points to Ryuuka and Himeko.
3. You place a 1000 point stick on the table. Any player who wins get the stick. It's not usually life threatening but the fact that you lost an additional 1000 point is irritating.
4. Generally, faster opponent usually rushes their hand if they sense someone having a high scoring riichi hand. Sera riichi losing to Ako's cheap win is a good example.
5. You are telling your opponent that you are ready to win. You know in ep 14 when Mairu declares riichi and FunaQ comments that no one would deal in since her discards are obvious (but Seiko still dealt one of Mairu's winning tiles ) Unless you are confident in drawing the tiles of your choice or the ace of the Fukuoka prefecture for three years, usually letting your opponent knows your winning tile is a bad thing.

Maybe adv/disav:
1. Pursuit riichi - There's a curse that when you first riichi, even if you have a 6 sided wait, the next person who riichied will ron you, no matter how crappy the wait is. Toyone is really fearful.

tl;dr don't riichi with a yakuman hand so that your opponent wouldn't realize your hand till later on. Though pushing the riichi button is so tempting...

PS. Talking to you guys about mahjong is fun when we don't have any new chapters to talk about.

SPeaking of which, if anyone has free time, you guys should also modify the TV tropes character page for Saki!

Last edited by Serperior; 2013-02-22 at 12:45.
Serperior is offline   Reply With Quote