View Single Post
Old 2007-05-08, 18:04   Link #779
Zero1
Two bit encoder
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourLocalGP
I know this is a pretty big obstacle in getting help! but I've uploaded the two G-spot screenshots to here: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=DM2JELLA
Thanks for the screenshots, but unfortunately they aren't much help. The only obvious difference is framerate. Now it might be that the hardware device has some kind of artificial limitation for framerates and such (thus not truly following it's designated profile/level), just like how the PSP only accepts certain framerates despite being decently capable for a portable device.

That's one theory, but GSpot doesn't give me any information as to the encoding tools used, so I can't really draw a conclusion since there are still too many variables.

However I've grabbed some software together and written a simple batch file. These programs should give me the information I need to see where they differ, but I am still working blind since I don't have an iPod or other hardware device (aside from a Series60 mobile phone and an imminent DVD player).

http://aflux.deltaanime.net/Zero1/MP4/h264parse.zip

It's anonymous and simple. Just extract this archive to a clean directory, and copy or move your two MP4 files to the same directory you just extracted to. Name them "file1.mp4" and "file2.mp4" for now (just to keep things simple) and double click the batch file (.bat) to run it. When it's done it prompts you to press Enter to continue, and you are left with a zip file containing the information I'm looking for, then just upload that zip somewhere for me to grab (megaupload works good for me as before).

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjladyfox
*rubs eyes* Goddess, this was a long thread to get thru and rather enjoyable if random in some spots. ^__^ Let me first start by saying each and every one of you who posted to this and/or are directly/indirectly responsible for the fansubs I snag on a frequent basis deserve a hearty thank you.
Thanks, it's nice when people take the time to show their appreciation. It's something that has gone away what with bittorrent. That's what got me into fansubbing; I was so greatful for one group picking up a show that I decided I wanted to help them.

Quote:
I remember when my friends and I considered our Amiga 1000 with a genlock cutting-edge subtitling equipment and it is amazing to see the progress to today
I'd love to try my hand at old school subbing just for the hell of it; but I suppose since there is no requirement for encoders for VHS bound fansubs, that my title of encoder would be reduced to "One of the many VHS copying people" ;P Sometimes things can get too big or popular for their own good, but I'd really like to take a trip back to the 80's/90's. The anime was awesome back then too.

Quote:
On one hand I loved the high-quality .MKV releases but on the other hand I wound up having to keep a glass of scotch nearby just to get thru some of the fustration I would encounter where things would either fail to extract or would fail to re-encode.
The glass of Scotch raised a smile. However, I could murder some Vodka right now.

Quote:
3. As some of you may or may not know (or heck even care possibly) Microsoft is slated to release the Spring Update this week which will add H.264 video support (Up to 10 Mbps, Baseline, Main, and High (up to level 4.1) Profiles with 2 channel AAC LC and Main Profiles) and MPEG-4 Part 2 video support (Up to 5 Mbps, Simple Profile with 2 channel AAC LC and Main Profiles). Do any of you feel that by adding this support it may make things easier for future releases by widening the base of support available? Or do you feel that it provides no benefit at all?
Say what? Microsoft supporting a non Microsoft format? I thought those days were over. Well this is quite interesting, just keep your fingers crossed Microsoft don't balls it up somewhere with partial support.

The guys at work are on at me to get a 360, and I was partially tempted, but £280 is a fair chunk to dish out just to own them in multiplayer shootan gaems, but with MP4 support (and of course the HD-DVD addon), it's looking tempting. In fact I'm in two minds if I should cancel my DP1600.

Great news though, it's just a shame MS don't do the right thing and get it supported by default in the next media player (or better still, just make the codecs and splitters available so it works in other players).

Quote:
Originally Posted by emptyeighty
If M$ doesn't screw up and deliver what they promise this can be great for the standalone people. I'm guessing they'll use mp4, so those releases should play back by themselves. mkv is easily remuxed to mp4, so no problem there either. Couple that with the fact that there's no ASP support (hence no xvid) it will probably get some people to download h.264 releases instead of xvid. So overall this might be good for h.264 adoption.
I'm grabbing at straws here, but I would still hope that ASP is supported despite what they say. Supporting SP and not ASP, especially when you have H.264 support is dumb; it's not like they can say CPU speed is an issue. ASP is the most common profile in MPEG-4 Visual, and pretty much every video encoded with XviD or DivX makes use of ASP features, unless they were particularly disabled.

Also I say this because what you see isn't always what you get. On paper my Series60 phone only supports SP, yet it's perfectly fine with ASP, so the decoder support is there (in as much as B-frames etc), but they only say SP.

On the other hand, pretty much every video encoded in ASP gets shoehorned into AVI, so even if they have ASP support, I wonder would it even matter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarkboy
I just didn't think that Microsoft would be the first to support it! I always figured that Sony's PS3 would be first. Right now, the PS3 only supports high profile h.264 when muxed into a .ts Blue ray type container, but with Xbox360 coming out with full mp4 support, I can only suppose that the PS3 will update to match the 360's capabilities soon.
Does PS3 support high profile for sure? I was under the impression it was main profile only (which I added to the long list of Sony's failures). Also .mp4 is supported off the bat; I was talking with Koopiskeva who's Haruhi AMV "Skittles" is doing the rounds recently, and he confirms it plays fine on his PS3 (720p H.264 in MP4).

Shameless plug I guess (even though I'm no Haruhi fan, but I figured maybe some of you would be curious for one reason or another).
http://www.animemusicvideos.org/memb...o.php?v=140609