View Single Post
Old 2012-04-23, 08:13   Link #33
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Just got back home after spending a total of three hours on the commute. After four years of not having to deal with rush-hour traffic, getting to and fro my new office today was every bit the soul-sapping experience I expected it to be.

And, as expected, the slouches in the IT department had taken their own sweet time getting my new terminal ready, despite me having informed every relevant personnel of my arrival some two weeks ahead of time. It took an entire morning for them just to retrieve and transfer my Lotus Notes ID from my previous office to the Apple Mac on my table. By the end of the day, they still haven't enabled my Internet connection.

Oh, did I mention how much I hate Mac desktops? No offence to Apple — I love its sense of style and have come to rely heavily on the iPad. But as a workstation, the Mac is just f*cking retarded, no thanks to its oh-look-I'm-so-beautifully-unique one-button mouse. (WTF, no scroll button!)

*Deep breath*

But I asked for this.

My new colleagues are friendly enough but, of course, everyone was busy getting on with their hectic schedule, so I was pretty much left to my own devices. The atmosphere was cosy and decidedly professional; I felt at home right away. The get-to-know-you chats with my new bosses helped to lay out the goals and directions, further convincing me that I am in the right place at the right time.

What do I do? I'm a journalist, but now work as an editor in custom publishing, a subset of content marketing. It's similar in many ways to one of my previous jobs as a magazine editor, but with a larger scope and a far greater emphasis on client-relationship management. It's great to be in a "front office" role again, after many fruitful years of learning the operational aspects of newspaper journalism. I'm looking forward to what lies ahead.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote