View Single Post
Old 2010-11-04, 19:21   Link #179
Nagumo
Random Translator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DezoPenguin View Post
Wow...you know, thinking about it, that one tiny paragraph contains a (compared to what we know) massive amount of information about TSAB politics.

For example, we now know that Administered Worlds have a great deal of autonomy vis-a-vis the TSAB, if the TSAB is legally unable to come in and settle the civil war without Orussia's direct request to do so. So that suggests that the Bureau operates more as a confederation than as a strong-central-government analogue to the USA or the like. One presumes that the TSAB could come barging in to settle matters like Lost Logia on the loose without local control, but otherwise...

It also tells us that (since we know Orussia uses the things) the "mass weapons ban" does not mean that the TSAB simply obliterates them throughout their sphere of influence. Here's an Administered World where they exist, and the TSAB has no legal authority (despite the famous ban) to go in and eliminate them. Which suggests that the "mass weapons ban" applies only to movement of them in commerce from world to world, or only to certain worlds like Midchilda, or that it might be a matter of scale (handguns and tanks OK, start building nukes and we send in the mages?).

Interesting stuff, really...
Personally I found the idea of a ban on mass weapons (like guns) was incredibly stupid. I mean, you can actually get guns in Japan. It just means you have to have more paperwork done and get some training but other than being a massive pain in the ass and making sure it's registered, its not as if it's outright banned.

My grandparents live in a fairly rural place, a number of households have hunting rifles. I mean, how the heck are the farmers of Japan supposed to cull the wild pigs in the mountains to prevent crop damage from them? Hunt them with frickin' bows and arrows? Wait an entire month or so for the wildlife rangers to do the cull for them and lose a couple of fields? The average farm is family owned and small, if they let the damage happen they're screwed.

Also in Nanoha, we have people running around with magic devices that can do incredible property damage, can kill people if you decide not to go stun and they don't seem to have to register them. (unless we're not seeing that particular side of bureaucracy)

Guns are a tool, as long as they are tracked, registered and are for a specified reason then I don't think the Japanese people would mind. People don't run around in that country with loads of weapons for the sheer hell of it or to build a collection like Americans.