View Single Post
Old 2012-07-17, 14:42   Link #154
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Twilight View Post
As far as I'm concerned, EoE was the pinnacle of Evangelion. It showcased Anno's superb talent for directing better than any of the TV series' episodes, had many of the very best and most powerful scenes in the series and provided an extremely bold and at the same time fitting conclusion to the themes the series had been built upon. The notion that it simplified the conflicts portrayed in the original ending merely because it presented them alongside actual visuals and the outward reality of events is ludicrous. And thankfully, not one I've heard often. In fact, I often hear the exact opposite - that it was even more incomprehensible and "made no sense". So yeah, not at all like comparing the original Evangelion (which includes both the TV series and EoE) to what Rebuild is doing now. EoE didn't dumb anything down, not to mention it's quite clear that it was the intended ending all along, otherwise portions of it wouldn't be present in the TV series' preview for episode 25.
You're one of the lucky ones then. Like Yot-chan I've grown accustomed to seeing the more snob members of the fandom dismiss End of Evangelion as pandering to those lesser beings that were unable to comprehend the sheer genius of the last episodes of a show that ran out of budget. I think that nowadays most of that stigma is gone but a few years back it looked quite like the hate train for the new movies looks today.

Do mind that I'm still not completely sold on the new movies myself: Asuka got the shaft quite a bit with her new role and Toji takes the prize of being rendered mostly useless with those same changes. On the other hand Mary so far looks to be nothing more than otaku pandering and a waste of precious runtime but I've been known to dislike the movie format for the toll it takes on character development so I'm at least willing to give this remake the benefit of the doubt untill the end of the 3rd movie.