View Single Post
Old 2004-01-29, 17:20   Link #2
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by -|(aGe-BuNsHiN-
I am probably one of the less intelligent people who didnt get the ending of this story at all...
Nor did Japanese viewers who originally watched this show back when it aired on TV Tokyo.

Quote:
I recently finished the anime by borrowing the dvds from my friend and i enjoyed it immensely for like first 20 episodes or so and then towards the end, it had me depressed then confused. Like many, i was saying WTF when i saw the ending.
That is why they made the movie. But due to Eva's "success" and "popularity," it started the whole "leave the ending up to the viewer" phenomena that we see much today (Scryed, Saishuu Heiki Kanojo, etc.)

Quote:
The basic impression i got from the ending was that Misato and the other blond girl got shot by Nerv personal for gettin to close to revealing the truth and destroying those clones of Rei Ayanami
Go watch the movie. Then you'll know

Spoiler:

Quote:
and that Asuka was in a state like her mother where she is just plain crazy, but what was up with all of the psychological stuff after the last angel's death? Was it all going through the head of Shinji or what? Was all that possible future thing being shown to him by a divine intervention and what exactly did consuming the S2 engine do to Unit 01? Also what exactly is an Eva, an Angel
It's called GAINAX's trademark "let's-mind-boggle-the-story-so-people-will-talk-about-it-for-years-to-come" tactics. And to a certain extent on how people are still talking about this ten years since its original broadcast, I make the assumption it was successful.

Quote:
and where did this so called the Dead-Sea scrolls come from (obviously from the dead sea) but i mean by whom was it made by?
Google search term: Dead Sea Scrolls

Quote:
Despite all these questions what confuses me the most is where did all that psycological stuff come from in the first place. What i remember is Shinji killin the last angel and then bam all that weird crap. Hopefully someone can explain to me how exactly the ending was THE ending.
The ending is how you forsee it to be the ending. Go watch the movie, and you'll still be confused. But that's the whole point. You believe what you want to believe. Welcome to the world of GAINAX (which unfortunately hasn't seen much success lately).

Quote:
PS - im going to refrain from watching the movie The End of Evangelion as i heard that it changes the ending completely instead of elaborating on it and changing quite a large portion of the original story.
Not really. The TV left open endings in the first place, and was never intended to have an ending. You can see it as a happy ending (omedetou, omedetou, etc...). don't refrain from watching the movie, just go watch it. Because I am sure that many people will have their own ideas on how the TV ended, and that was the whole point in the first place.

Hopefully, these types of animes will break open the shell of Americans who are "acquainted with stories that have a clear definitive Hollywood ending."
kj1980 is offline   Reply With Quote