View Single Post
Old 2007-10-24, 02:01   Link #47
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by houkoholic View Post
otoh, your reasoning is weak because you and Klash went out to redefine the meaning of the word from the beginning to fit your argument, rather than start with the most commonly accepted definition of the word and see whether the character fits. That's just moving the goal post, rather than actually debating on the question at hand.
I won't really debate with the earlier point since Nightengale already did well. I didn't play kyou's route yet, and seriously... it isn't a "no brainer" statement currently, otherwise, people wouldn't have such split opinion to begin.

as for the quote part, I'm really wondering how this "definition" was refined to fit my argument...
If i was to stricly use the definition of it, that wouldn't be even possible to apply.

"The definition of the term has evolved to apply to not only characters who change from harsh to gentle but who are cold on the outside and kind internally."

As far as i can see with the anime version, no, Kyou doesn't change from harsh to Gentle (and as I stated earlier, i'm not even sure if tagging along with Tomoya will really change her)... yet. Of course, things will be confirmed or not, but the first part is of course the "older" version of tsundere, which I think is the closest possible definition for Kyou's case, if she happens to change. (if they involve her romance part, that said)

The second part is even less possible to apply, since Kyou doesn't harbor any "hostile" in a sense she is trying to be alone. The fortune telling and the motorbike scenes demonstrated that Kyou is certainly not harboring any aversion to anyone.
Cold is arguably what it means, and "violent" might be an extra. But mainly, acting violent isn't synonym of "acting cold". And that's how i can't see Kyou as a "second type" tsundere, because she is hardly hostile, but just wild AND friendly.

feel free to claim your opinion anyway, but it doesn't require to dismantle other opinions just because they aren't basing on the same "data" as yours.