View Single Post
Old 2012-06-15, 11:43   Link #29167
Wanderer
Goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aethos View Post
A mystery isn't interesting at all if you can just believe whatever you want.
But, the thing is that the "answer" to any mystery novel is whatever the author made up. In that sense whether the reader gets it right or wrong isn't so much a measure of their deductive capabilities using the facts from the story, but their ability to understand how the author's mind works. And it's this particular concept that RK07 is pushing with Umineko's metafictional format. Understanding Beatrice (the "gamemaster") herself is the true cornerstone to understanding the answers to her puzzles (see Battler's "chessboard thinking" and his final epiphany about Beatrice at the end of EP5; also see Williard's approach to solving Beatrice's mysteries and how he presents his conclusions).

Basically, Umineko isn't a Mystery, and never really was; it's metafiction about Mystery- specifically how the Mystery author interacts with the Mystery reader.

By the way, I loved Higurashi up through Tsumihoroboshi, but didn't find the final solution interesting at all. The villain was too obvious, and I didn't like the violation of Knox's second with Hanyuu. Actually, fan reactions like mine to Higurashi's ending probably had a profound influence on how RK07 did Umineko's ending.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
GEORGE STOLE MARIA'S CANDY!!!
Pfft, it was so obvious. It's always George.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyZone View Post
An unknown person X did it! Like... yes! Gretel appeared in EP4 at the air port! She did it! She stole the candy from Hideyoshi and put it into George's pocket! Then George was confused to have it and just thought that it was a little joke from his parents and he ate it!
AuraTwilight's avatar comes to mind.

And nice job with the dialogue. Felt like I really was reading Umineko.
Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote