Thread: Licensed Saki manga
View Single Post
Old 2013-02-15, 04:43   Link #2977
cedec0

Hi, it is my first time posting on this Achiga-hen message board. I have some ideas/predictions about Shizu's power and what is going to happen next chapter, and I would love to gets some reactions/feedback. Here is what I suspect:

1) Shizuno's ability is NOT simply an image breaker. That is only one aspect of Shizuno's power. Her true ability is basically this: the more she plays against an oppenent, the more she can criple that oppent's play. This crippling takes MULTIPLE forms, one of which is "disabling special abilities" (image breaker). Other aspects of her power (once it activates) include "preventing opponents from drawing winning tiles" and "never dealing into oppenent's hand".

Shizuno regards opponents as "mountains" which she slowly climbs, conquers, and completely shuts down.

2) If I am right about the true nature Shizuno's ability, Achiga-hen is going to end in a one-sided massacre. Shizuno is about to become the one of the most overpowered players in the Saki universe while the other schools struggle desperately for second place.

;--------------------------------

Clues about Shizuno's power/ability:

Clue #1) Shizuno disables Awai's ability (everyone noticed this one)

So Shizuno seems "to be able to disable opponents abilities".

Clue #2) The unatural lack of tsumos in the second hanchan

In the first ten hands of the final round, there were six Rons (60%) and four Tsumos (40%). What is more, these Tsumos are evenly distributed throughout the ten games.

Then Shizuno activates her ability., and we get six straight games without any tsumos.

This strongly suggest that, once Shizuno's ability activates, she can "prevent opponents from drawing winning tiles". (By the way , the "prevent opponents from drawing winning tiles" would also prevent Koromo's Haitei Raoyue)

Clue #3) Shizuno's complete lack of damage in second hanchan

In the first ten hands of the final round, Shizuno loss points in 50% of the hands (four Tsumos and one Ron). Then Shizuno activates her ability, and avoids all damage in the next six hands.

This suggest that, once her ability is activate, Shizuno can "avoid dealing into opponents hands". (Combined with the lack of Tsumos, this makes Shizuno is immune to all damage.)

Clue #4) Shizuno's ability seems to take time to go into full effect.

Going by what happened to Koromo and what is happening in the current match, Shizuno needs to play her opponents many times before her ability activates, and then that ability gets stronger as time goes on. So Shizuno should be at her strongest at the end of the second hanchan (which is why I suspect that Achiga-hen will end with a one-sided massacre)

Clue #5) Koromo suggests that Shizuno has monstrous potential (everyone noticed this one too)

When Koromo played Shizuno two months ago, she "could already see a spark".
http://www.mangahere.com/manga/saki_...a/c019/29.html

This suggest that Shizuno's ability was rough/developing when she played Koromo.

"the second time around, I couldn't manage any haitei"
http://www.mangahere.com/manga/saki_...a/c019/30.html

So When Shizuno played Koromo and prevented her from getting Haitei Raoyue, her ability was still in rough/developing stage. Now, if Shizuno's incomplete ability is that powerful, what is the real thing is like?

Clue #5) The mountain climbing imagery

When Shizuno first activates her power, there is a flash of Shizuno standing on a mountain.
http://www.mangahere.com/manga/saki_...a/c019/30.html

Shizu's coach "Do you think you can conquer those three mountains?"
http://www.mangahere.com/manga/saki_...a/c019/71.html

Chapter 19 ends with the imagery of Shizu standing on top of a mountain thinking "I've got an excellent view!"
http://www.mangahere.com/manga/saki_...a/c019/74.html

So in summary:

A) Shizuno's opponents are "mountains" she must conquer.
B) As Shizu conquers said montains (opponents), she can criple their play in multiple ways ("disabling abilities", "preventing them from drawing winning tiles", "never dealing into their hands. ", etc)
C) Shizu is now standing on top of said mountains (opponents) thinking "I've got an excellent view!"

To me, this looks like a one-sided massacre waiting to happen.

Three other things to note:

1) Shizu's ability might be limited to "mountains" (monstrous players with special abilities), making her the ultimate giant-killer.

2) Shizuno is the main character (Saki's equivalent in Achiga-hen). It would be weird if she didn't turn out to be an over-powered monster.

3) Plot-wise, a Shizu one-sided massacre would give Shiraitodai a reason to rearrange their lineup. So the final round of the finals might be Shizuno, Teru, Saki, and some other monster.

Last edited by cedec0; 2013-02-15 at 05:58. Reason: fixing typo
cedec0 is offline   Reply With Quote