Thread: News Stories
View Single Post
Old 2009-04-05, 00:06   Link #2065
Sazelyt
Μ ε r c ü r υ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClockWorkAngel View Post
People do bad things, drugs help them (That includes alcohol) do those bad things. That doesn't mean that you can punish every person because of a single bad decision on the basics that they might do something bad. The thing about legalization of drugs is that they can do what they want to do to themselves, so long they don't screw with other people, that's common sense! We have laws to protect people (Though in my opinon, to protect the offenders) and so on.
How exactly are you going to do that? For those who may want to freely consume those substance, if there is 1 right-minded, there may be 5 wrong-minded ones. You want to make it free, yet not free. It is like not selling alcohol to heavy-drinkers. You can hardly prevent that, once you open that door (if I am not mistaken, you cannot even do something like that for selling guns, at least people try to stay consciously awake while using those, for the others, the reason is to get away from the consciously awake state). On the other hand, if you make it fair, to satisfy that one person, you may let loose a few. And multiply that with hundreds of thousands or millions, you will see a lot of problems. At the end, you will start asking questions similar to "Was it worth killing a million(?) civilians just to get rid of Saddam!".

Also, what if the government wants to legalize that with a requirement, i.e., you have to give permission for your name to be put in a national database where every legal authority and legally entitled companies (for example the company you work for) can access, whenever they want. Just to keep track of that. Of course, they can also keep track of your usage, etc.