View Single Post
Old 2005-12-26, 11:35   Link #54
Cueil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem
How can it be completely false? No consumer has put it to the test. You're citing one developer, and I'd also like to remind you that no developer can pull out the full power of a system right away. Take a look at the first Playstation 2 games, and compare them to what's being released now for proof. We don't know what the real difference in power will be because the systems are of a completely different architecture. If developers treat it like a regular processor, then sure, the power difference probably won't amount to much. But if they code for it in a unique fashion, then who knows? I'm not a Sony fanboy, and I laughed at Sony when they announced that they eighth core on the CELL "may or may not work" (they have since marked that core as a "redundancy" core), but don't be so quick to say how that technology isn't so special. Bring the Sony fanboys back down to Earth, but don't go any farther than that.

I agree with you that Microsoft is finally starting to do things right. Though their console doesn't particularly bring any major hardware innovations about, it's still quite powerful. As you also mentioned, Microsoft is trying to change the face of gaming so that online multiplayer gaming is no longer limited to the computer. With their XBOX Live service, they're certainly well on their way.

What I'll always say, though, is that it really doesn't matter the hardware of the console. Nobody buys a console that can display the most amazing graphics of the crappiest games ever, they want a console that can play their favorite games - fun, interesting games - before it can render those games with stunning visuals. Sure, fans complain about lack of "modern graphics," but if they're complaining then it means that they've bought the game and played it. Fans follow the games, and that's the way it should be.
It isn't just one dev that says this it's many devs that talk about this. Also several devs speak poorly about the cell's setup. Thos SPEs are not all created equal... they run a diffrent speeds and each is better at one thing then the other. It's a fundemental diffrence of opinion on CPU structure than any other company has. Asychronous(sp? I know I can't spell I just woke up) cpus is not the future... both Intel and AMD are running down a path of multicore CPU structure and both feel strongly that all the CPUs should run at the same speed. I think the biggest problem with this will be that it will be hard to port over games from one system to the other. So only the larger companies can make games for say the PS3 and Xbox 360. However on a good note for Nintendo fans this probably wont even be a problem with ports to and from the Revolution and the Xbox 360. Both systems will be using the same CPU type and the same (ATI) video card type. I want to see some cross platform multiplayer games in the future as well... wouldn't it be fun be on a clan of Xbox 360 owners and be in CTF game with a clan of only PS3 owners?
Cueil is offline   Reply With Quote