Thread: Kanon - Q & A
View Single Post
Old 2007-01-14, 02:41   Link #84
Raniie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codine View Post
Kanon Review What do you guys think? I find anime-planet to be a helpful source. I was watching Kanon 2002 so I guess I'll just ignore 2002 and just watch 2006.
It's actually not a bad idea to also watch Toei's 2002 version, just to understand Kanon from a different perspective point of view. While that review does hit on some points about Toei's version; such as the Art / Animation quality, that I can agree upon, the other statements about the story, sound/music, character developement, all I can say is; sothis doesn't know what the heck s/he is talking about.

The biggest mistake I see in a lot of people's review is they often place judgement on the series in the wrong category and reviewing it base on the wrong genre. Instead of reviewing for what it is, or trying to be, or to accomplish. The result is obviously not going to meet the standards (did it even want to in the first place? Maybe it's trying to set something new), let alone in excelling at it. The review never even bother to indicate that maybe Kanon is NOT a harem show? Maybe it is NOT really going for romance either? It's also funny how sothis stated: "In addition to the textbook romance type story, the series can't decide what kind of show it is. It ranges from generic romance, to weird supernatural/horrorish (which ends up being LAME and unrealistic), and also a depressing tragedy of sorts related to death." Yet, it never occured to him that what if it's a "slice-of-life" type of show? A slice of nearly everything; genre-wise, from a little bit of romance, a little bit of humor, a little bit of fantasy, a little bit of horror, etc.

All in short. That's a really bad review with little to no credibility on what sothis is talking about.
Raniie is offline   Reply With Quote