View Single Post
Old 2011-06-02, 17:19   Link #43
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaAlba View Post
but the main guy is a 33 years old guy, too old for a main guy doesn't he?

See. THIS says allot about anime. We're so used to giant robots and space fleets being commanded by teenagers, that the notion of a main character whose over 30 years old seems extremely unnatural to us. It's almost as if we normally think of such characters as secondary (even backround characters) whose sole purpose is to stand around and be impressed by the teenage wunder kind.

I think one of the selling points for this is the fact that the male protagonist ISN'T some kid that makes this more interesting. It amuses me to no end that by going with the most *normal* choice of protagonist (An adult military man, as opposed to a 16 year *just a regular old high school student*) to handle a major nation threatening crisis...the series is doing this huge subversion of everything that surprises most fans.

edit: Also FUCK YEAR ARMOR!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonta Kun View Post
For me not so much, I like the fact he is old enough to know he will have a good deal of experience behind him(I think it's cause I have just recently saw Battle: Los Angeles and the old geezer works so well there)

I don't mind the "teenage soldier" cliche but in there cases their backgrounds are much less believable than a real old guy.
Teenage *soldiers* aren't necessarily a cliche. If you look at the age of most of the enlisted guys going into Iraq and Afghanistan, you DID see allot of guys who were still teenagers. The key distinction though, is that this is for relatively low ranked enlisted. Officers and NCO's are generally all older.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote