Thread: Windows 8
View Single Post
Old 2012-03-03, 02:07   Link #30
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimapan View Post

You mean, how dumbed down Windows has gotten.
No, if I had meant that, I'd have said that.

Both Apple and Microsoft's OSes have gotten more and more idiot proof, at the cost of burying their nuts and bolts further and further behind the shiny icons and menus.

I'm not going to bother admonishing Unix or Linux distros, because let me be blunt, I have never used one as my personal home OS, and only use them as work requires. A decade or two ago, it was a different story, and Unix had a real shot as a personal OS for me. Anyways, I don't believe they belong in this conversation, nor do I think Google's Chrome OS is nearly robust enough for me to be including it for personal home use either.

You obviously have a bone to pick with Microsoft, which makes me wonder, do you use Windows as a personal OS? Using it if you hate it so much doesn't make much sense to me. I've despised virtually every Mac OS that's come out in the last 15 years, and I don't use them unless I have to for work purposes (sadly, there are a number of genetics-related 'homebrew' programs that are Mac only). Nor do I spend my life on internet forums castigating their lowest denominator approach that has convinced Microsoft to follow suit, thus forcing me to suffer the carryover effect.

As to the person who mentioned that Metro replaces your Start Menu...I suppose I really don't see why that matters. The Metro UI is exactly that. A Start Menu. That is far more responsive and requires fewer clicks than the current Start Menu. The only real improvement it needs is to allow you to show 'All Apps' by default, though I admit I have long been in the habit of simply typing what I want since Vista, and not bothering to scroll through the folders in the Start Menu. This continues to work nearly perfectly in 8.

When I said you can ignore the Metro UI, I meant you can ignore using all those silly apps (just remove them), and treat your computer virtually the same as you do now on Windows 7, just with a full screen Start Menu.

But, hey, different strokes for different folks. Keep up the righteous indignation! /shakes fist
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote