View Single Post
Old 2012-01-13, 21:26   Link #130
ronin myael
lost ronin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayerx View Post
One thing i like about one piece is that it has revelations that are actually capable of surprising me. Seriously, with most other shounens like Bleach, narutop and a lot of the odler ones, there haven't been that many surprises. Sure they'll reveal something i did not know, but reveal just gets a real "meh" reaction from me; the reveal is either not that epic, or i just plain don't care about what's being revealed. With One piece however, some of the reveals throughout the series have been able to floor me; I get a real "Holy Shit!" reaction"... and that's why I never read one piece spoilers, so i never have a chance of spoiling a good surprise... unlike Naruto and bleach where i know any surprise they deliver will not be all that surprising.
i totally agree! he never fails to surprise me. sure, there are some predictable stuff here and there, but there are those that totally blew me away. i had plenty of those "holy shit!" moments too. i remember when i first read the skypiea arc and i couldn't seem to understand its relevance to the story. but then halfway through it i start to realize my mistake and by the time it ended i felt a newfound respect for oda. i love how he wraps things up in every arc he writes and how he ties up all these arcs that you know each of them are significant to the main plot.

Quote:
The great thing about One Piece that separates it will always be the fight-creativity...There's no show in shonen history that can come up with more stuff for super-powered characters to do...And what's great is that it's rarely obvious just based on the surface...To think this show can go 500 episodes deep and still come up with new $hit for a man made of rubber to do is astonishing at times...

I mean take a random villain like Lucci for example...The fact that he is a cat beast is probably the least interesting thing about his set of abilities...In One Piece how a character looks or what he is perceived to be from a fighting standpoint is almost never even close to what his/her set of skills are really about...

It takes a very imaginative person to consistently keep supplying this level of stuff throughout the history of a long show (With a seemingly endless cachet of characters)...Luffy just got upgraded to Hachi 10 years into the show, which means the first 10 years he was just playing around^^...
i agree with this one too. oda is a creative genius. a lot of people say one piece is overrated because there are other series that are much better. well maybe. but in shonen manga, i doubt there's anything better than one piece as far as plot, humor, adventure, action, creativity and appeal. it has all the right ingredients and in the right doses too. some manga may possess better and imaginative plots but one piece has more appeal in terms of humor and writing. oda's plot may have seriously heavy themes but he presents them in a way that even little kids could understand. and you hardly feel the tension because it's so damn funny! not all manga-ka have the ability to do that.

Quote:
Arlong Arc was what turned this series from good to great for me. Alabstra Arc turn great to classic. And W7-EL/Shabody/ID/Marineford turns classic to god-like/best all time (in shounen action).
arlong arc was also the pivotal point for me. it's when i realized the potential of the series. every time i see that march to arlong park scene i get goosebumps knowing how great this series has become since then.