View Single Post
Old 2011-05-13, 23:34   Link #479
NCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
No Grand Prizes given for the 2nd Kyoto Animation Award.

As somebody pointed out on the thread for the news article it's not much of a contest when it's been around for 2 years and still failed to have a grand prize winner. This year they didn't even hand out any cash prizes apparently.....I've honestly never heard of anything like this. Can this possibly go a third year at this rate when it has failed to amount to anything so far? I would say no way, but then again who the heck knows with this company sometimes.
Considering that the cash prizes are outlined right on the awards homepage, I'm not sure where you're getting the idea that they aren't giving them out. They did so last year, and there's no reason to think anything has changed.

Also, it's not like the idea of a contest not handing out a Grand Prize award is unheard of. As you can see, it isn't exactly uncommon for contests like these to withhold their awards if there isn't any applicable work. Simply put, they are not gonna give out an award if they don't feel any of the entries are deserving. Out of the eighty or so times the Tezuka Award has been given out, it has only awarded its Grand Prize fourteen times. Similarly, the Akatsuki Award hasn't had a Grand Prize winner in over twenty years. Where's the fanfare and ridicule about that?

It's also a stretch to say that it has "failed to amount to anything" considering that they have given out over 18.5k USD in cash prizes and are in the process of publishing one of the winning entries. Personally I think its good that Kyoani is doing something to find and cultivate new talent. I mean, I don't see any other studios holding similar contests. Then again, there aren't exactly many studios out there with the financial stability to be giving away thousands of dollars in cash prizes every year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eater of All View Post
While the lack of awards is puzzling
They have given out awards. What they haven't given out is their Grand Prize. I don't really understand why ANN decided to translate "奨励賞" as "honorable mention". It would be more accurate to call it "encouragement award" or simply "award".