View Single Post
Old 2012-07-14, 06:08   Link #35
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyp275 View Post
Because she'd shoot them full of holes, snap their necks, and then toss of them off the nearest skycraper
there's that. Or just hack them into submission.

Quote:
also, o7 to Gunny Hathcock and Maj. Winters, and all the rest tbh, there were countless badasses in WW2
Oh, there were, it's just that those two have the most current recognition atm. Audie Murphy, most decorated US soldier ever, would be another case, and of course we cannot forget Marshall Zhukov, who had a coat LOADED with medals that he earned by being so badass. Particularly in a BT-2.

Regards being a sue, Kirito is the main character, therefore by default the title of Mary Sue/Gary Stu cannot apply, as that term refers to an author created character in a work of fan fiction.

Now, to address some factual errors:

Spoiler:

Much of my delivery is lost in the cold medium of text. I may need to record this as an audio file; In my mind I am speaking in the style all propesctive barristers learn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by novalysis View Post
Spoiler for For end of Aincrad Arc& Alicization:

I'd also argue that Kirito would sympathize with Emiya Kiritsugu's philosophy. He's surely not your Shounen hero of justice. Far from it. A Shounen hero of justice would have agreed to stay with Klein. Mind you, had he joined Klein's guild,the odds are high that
Spoiler for Red Nose Reindeer Spoiler:
survived to the end of the game, ironically. Indeed, had he joined Klein's guild, I suspect he might have been able to stop the BEATER concept at it's inception.

Kirito is not a Sue. He's merely a highly talented young man with potential Anti-hero tendencies curbed by the unique circumstances and harsh life lessons Aincrad and what happened after taught him. One of the big themes of SAO is the coming of age story of a genius born on the verge of a technological singularity.
Agreed. QFT. I have nothing more to say, other than this is an excellent summation of the character...

... Even if I still must insist that strictly,speaking, as a main character, in the verse he originates from, the Mary Sue label should not apply.

I believe in miracles.

Last edited by Wild Goose; 2012-07-14 at 06:19. Reason: iPad keyboard typos.
Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote