View Single Post
Old 2011-11-21, 14:12   Link #11
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
While I sympathize with older anime fans who became fans at a time when moe didn't predominate anime as a whole (though there were some elements of it around even back then), I also think at some point people need to accept that this is modern anime. This is what defines it, like it or not. There's nothing particularly illegitimate about it. In fact, I think it shows a degree of cultural arrogance to expect Japan's culture (and its exports, like anime) to be more or less identical to America's. What the Japanese find appealing, attractive, sexy, etc... will sometimes clash with what Americans do, but the Japanese people have a right to their cultural preferences, imo, just as we have a right to ours.
I generally avoid discussions about moe~ because criticisms of this style is usually like waving a red flag in front of a herd of bulls. However attributing to the Japanese or "Japan's culture" a preference for moe~ seems just as arrogant as the criticisms to which you object.

Anime, particularly the types of late-night shows that people here generally watch, targets a very small sliver of the Japanese public. To attribute the viewing preferences of that segment of the audience to all Japanese people of all ages seems indefensible to me.

I appreciate some shows with moe~ characters like Yune in Ikoku Meiro no Croisee or Murasaki in Kure-nai because it's appropriate to the characters being portrayed. That said, I'd rather watch shows with strong-willed adult female characters like Balsa, Shurrei, or Nina Fortner.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2011-11-21 at 14:23.