View Single Post
Old 2009-09-29, 17:58   Link #2181
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
He's also supposed to be "omnibenevolent", which, combined with his other omnis, I find inconsistent with the state of the world. Of course, it might just be a problem with the notion of benevolence. But if he's not benevolent as we people mean the word, then why should we people use that word to describe him?
For me, giving humans a chance to be saved when by all rights he could've just let us all go to Hell is enough to call him benevolent. And this is the first time I've ever heard of omnibenevolent, hmm, I learn something new everyday.
Quote:
I mean, He might have some kind of moral system where bad things sometimes happening to good people is good, and He might be its perfect expression - but if a man rejoiced about babies getting stuffed in fridges, we'd call him a jerk, not benevolent.
It's not that bad things happening to good people is good. But the life after this life is more important since that one will last for eternity. So God tells the believers to hold on to their faith even when bad things happen to them in this life and they will be rewarded in the next life. (That doesn't mean that believers shouldn't care at all about what's happening in this life.)
monster is offline   Reply With Quote