View Single Post
Old 2010-05-30, 03:23   Link #2039
arias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yot-chan View Post
Actually, although I disagree with Reckoner's conclusions, I think he's done an excellent job of articulating why he dislikes 2.22.

And his arguments are totally valid, and totally understandable. And I for one respect him for getting his thoughts out there in a cogent way. So I don't think there's any need to slight him for being 18, or for disliking the movie. He clearly cares a lot about Eva, and has put a lot of thought into it.

I do wish he'd change his sig, but hey...you can't have everything, right?

Whatever you think, I'm not slighting his age. Evangelion is really a realization of Hideaki Anno, this I'm sure everyone knows. And like all people, we change over time. Anno is now 50 years old this year, compared to 35 when he first directed EVA TV! And fans of Eva who could have digested it in some decent manner at its debut who were 13-25 are now 28-40 years old.

I think age and time are actually massive factors in understanding the significance of Rebuild of Evangelion and its place in the history and culture of anime.

The broken emotionality and deep-seated insecurity of the original EVA really led me to my first anxiety attack after finishing EoE, and obviously it's really awesome. But the kinds of problems manifested in the original EVA were also representative of the 4 year period in Anno's life where he felt he was a broken man... and I think the significant changes in undertones in Rebuild represents the answers or direction to where he took his life after that.
arias is offline   Reply With Quote