View Single Post
Old 2013-01-02, 10:23   Link #139
judasmartel
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
The problem with most harem MC is that they are very average looking (when they're not hideous), have a bland personality, no spine, and are incredibly dense. There's simply nothing to like about them. Their only redeeming quality is their kindness, but if this was all it took to get a harem, I would have gotten one a long time ago.

They're not disliked because they are harem MCs and don't handle romance well, they are disliked because they are bad characters.
What do guys mean by dense? Sorry to sound like an idiot, but I still don't know what that means, and I'm not in the mood to consult Mr. Google atm.

Okay, I really don't hate harem MC's (it's the genre staple, after all), but what kind of redeeming qualities do you think should they have asides kindness? Maybe intelligence, popularity, athleticism, or something they are good at or something they WANT to be good at?

And BTW, food for thought: "If everyone should be special, then no one is."

If a harem MC should be something no one else isn't in a setting where EVERYONE is something no else isn't, then nobody really has something no else isn't. This setting would be described as "everyone is special".

So yeah, if the MC being TOO NORMAL is the problem, I think the above is the best course of action when writing harem MC's. Make everyone in the setting special.

Then again, it was said that most VN MC's are supposed to represent the average school guy. They were supposed to make players say, "hey, if this guy who is absolutely normal can get the girls, why can't I?"

But still, yes, if you want to make an impression on anyone, put on your best self and do whatever you want to do to the best of your ability.

Sure, my high school days sucked compared to the others, but I had one of the most pleasant memories in that time period. You know, that feeling when you realize "nobody's normal, everyone's special". Even the seemingly most normal person in our class is pretty good at something and has a goal he wants to achieve.

Reading various comments from other forums and blogs, I could see why the harem MC is one of the most hated archetypes in anime. They have absolutely no dreams or goals to speak of except to be able to bone his chosen girl. If one wants to write a harem MC, at least give him a goal aside from getting the girl! Even if it's as simple as "to become a photographer" (Photo Kano, and its MC in anime form looks badass btw).

Hmm... Yeah, I guess I already got that part. I only need more light on the words "dense" and "bland personality".

But thanks, guys. It was so much fun.
judasmartel is offline   Reply With Quote