View Single Post
Old 2008-03-27, 10:13   Link #1092
arkhangelsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose View Post
Well, it can't be a pointier needle head, because in another episode O'Neill throws his combat knife into a System Lord's hand (either Apophis or Klorel, most definately not Anubis, Sorak or Ba'al); IIRC what happened was that he whipped out his P90, which shoots very pointy 4.7mm AP rounds, fired, it didn't work, he threw his knife and embedded it in the System Lord's hand. Or did he skip the shooting and throw? It's been a while since I saw that episode, but he definately threw the knife into the System Lord's hand. And the knife blade isn't as pointy as a needle.
From the Wiki pictures, it is pretty pointy, but more pointy than a needle?

Quote:
Still, as I said, how does this not work? Even discounting that we don't see mages deflecting bullets with their BJs, we still see here that the swords and Belkan melee weapons, having greater mass and momentum than beams which are primarily energy with lower mass, penetrating the BJ defensive complex to cut the fabric of the barrier jacket. So how does this not make sense?
You have to be careful. Remember, physically it is not just mass - the issue is momentum, force and pressure as well as mechanical properties which affect deformation. It is still pretty physically unacceptable if projectile A which weights 15 grams and travels at 900m gets blocked while B weighs 30 grams or even 60 grams but only travels at 100m gets through, with all other factors being even, because the momentum of projectile B, and thus the force it could possibly have applied is actually much less than Projectile A, but it is acceptable if Projectile B's frontal cross section is only say 1/10th of Projectile A because then Pressure becomes a valid explanation. And so on. It all gets quite complicated, and there are many ways to "win" (unfortunately, the MGLN BJ is amazingly far in the left field it can't find a single way out of the possibilities to win) as long as something like this can explain the phenomena, it is not physically objectionable. But if not...

Quote:
What about quicksand, which sucks you in faster with the more energy and momentum you use in trying to get out? (Getting this out of the way before someone else says it.)
That means it actually yields more easily as energy increases.

Quote:
Thus returning to my analogy, the Barrier Jacket's Barrier is set protect against incoming magical energy, probably lasers or beam weapons, and while it may or may not be penetrable by bullets, swords and melee weapons with a significant amount of mass, inertia and momentum to them (especially when compared to a beamspam attack) can get through this Barrier since the Barrier isn't set to filter these threats.
Well, I won't object to something like this. Were you saying something like this before? Maybe I just didn't see it in the smoke of about ten people throwing pebbles in my direction. But I'll object to the word "set", because it implies they can turn the feature on at a whim, which does not seem to be the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
However, Fate clearly states that mass-based weaponry was primarely used in those days, no notion of energy based weapons is made (those particle beam weapons too can easilly be canons, and the 'beam' is simply the flare of the shell being fired)

Regardless of that one weapon, fact is that Fate said mass-based weaponry was primarely used.

And if they are made to protect against energy, how come Fate's energy scythe managed to break through Signum's defenses?
OK, you've just given me an excuse to expand my webpage.

Note that the explanation in no way dismisses a laser as being a valid "mass weapon" in Midchildran terminology. Can a high-powered laser cause "mass destruction without using Magic?" Certainly!

Fate's magical scythe is formed into a rigid forcefield (high interparticle bond strength). Thus, it applied force onto Signum's "kachuu" as if it were an object made of fermions.