View Single Post
Old 2009-03-28, 20:49   Link #106
Seiryuu

Just thought I'd insert a hypothesis considering the nature of the defeat of the big golem at the end. I'd heard some complain that the shattered rock should have continued to move forward at high speeds, killing the main characters. This works under the assumption that this giant golem is built through a single-layer spell. We've already seen that spells can have multiple layers, like the layered defenses on Index's curse at the start of the series. In the golem, I would guess that the deepest, core layer is the part that holds the rocks together to form one body. One of the outer layers produces mobility and semi-consciousness. Both times Touma dissolves a golem, the mobility stops first, leaving the golem as a large mass of rock held together by magic. Since the golem is balanced, the result is much like when someone stops a punch just short of an opponents face: the entire body(which in this case is rooted to the ground itself) holds the arm back. Moments after the locomotion spells are erased, the binding forces are also removed and the now near-motionless rocks just fall where they are. This fight only seems to go against basic laws of physics until you examine the specific sequence. Of course, this is just a pseudoscience conjecture produced to oppose the idea that the production company fouled up here. Either way, it's best not to concern oneself too much with these things. Spare the catgirls before you kill them all.
Seiryuu is offline   Reply With Quote