View Single Post
Old 2012-10-20, 20:03   Link #17
Dawnstorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Also, you're going to judge Psycho-Pass's story execution on the basis of two episodes? Give it some time, please. A strong concept like Psycho-Pass' needs some time to play itself out.
I don't think that was the point. I can't speak for Kirarakim, but let me take a look at the passage in question:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R
Let's say you have a choice between a well-executed high school romance comedy and an equally well-executed show with a rarer premise like what we have in Psycho-Pass right now.
You compare "a well-executed high school romance comedy" with "an equally well-exectued show with a rarer premise" and cite Psycho Pass as an example.

But, as a premise, is Psycho Pass really that special? I read lots of SF, and my first reaction on hearing what it's about was "standard trope, let's wait for the execution".

So when Kirarakim replies:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim
Going to have to disagree with you here: Let's look at this season we have Psycho Pass & we have a "romantic comedy" My Little Monster.

I wouldn't choose between them because they both offer me something. They both do a good job (so far) with the story they are presenting. But I fail to see how Psycho Pass is the better story.
I think the disagreement is more on the level of individual shows; you're using an entire genre ("high school romance comedy") and compare it to a show you claim is more unique ("Psycho Pass"). But "Psycho Pass", so far, is actually a pretty straight-forward cyberpunk-dystopia. (And Gen's style is actually very compatible with the genre, considering that it has a noir-feel to begin with, so it's unlikely to break the mold much.)

So to have a fair comparison, Kirarakim chooses two shows that do interesting things within their respective genres and sets them side by side. And what remains, then, looks a lot like genre bias.

Personally, I have a hard time, too, telling which of the shows, Psycho Pass or Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun has the more interesting premise. That's mostly due to me having a hard time to differentiate between premise and execution, since it's often the exuction that lets me guess at the premise.

Genre-expectation-wise, I could actually talk more about Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun, though I'd be talking a lot about the execution in search for a concept I sense but can't be sure is there.

Good shows generally fit the execution to the material and find a good balance - sometimes to the point that it is hard for me to tell concept from execution.

I do know, though, that it's easier for me to enjoy a show with a run-of-the-mill concept but great execution, than a great concept executed in a run-of-the-mill manner (that's an exercise in frustration). All being equal, having an interesting concept is definitely a plus, but then that's sort of redundant to say (since "interesting" implies a positive judgement already).

So what is it about execution that draws me in? That's an interesting question to me. Maybe I'll make my "ice-puddle-cracking is fun" post, after all (which analyses the opening of episode 10 of A-Channel, according to an epiphany I head while watching the opening of episode 12 (?) of Mashiriro Symphony). But not now. I don't have the time.
Dawnstorm is offline   Reply With Quote