View Single Post
Old 2011-06-14, 09:51   Link #11230
zaeraal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
The thing about Touma is that he is a 'weak' hero; to be exact he doesn't have a strong power like many other shounen heroes. For powerful characters, there's nothing particularly impressive when they stand against a powerful foe because well, you expect them to be able to do it. There's nothing heroic because it's normal for such characters. But that's not the case for Touma.

Of course now we know that there's something else in him, but that doesn't change anything imo because what the Author is getting at is that Touma's character is not defined by the power he wields. I don't know why it has taken me so long to realized this; if Touma was only able to do what he does because he had Imagine Breaker, then in situations where Imagine Breaker is useless, he wouldn't be able to bring out his courage- But that's not the case isn't it?
Yeah Touma is capable of fighting without IB, by using logic and courage (and a lot of unnecesary talk). But in most fights he rely up purely on IB and the "punch to face ending". Though I can't consider his power as "weak" because there are different powers - offensive, supportive and defensive and each has separate handling.
If you put it on a scale 1-10 it would be like this:
1 - offensive (not counting the on hit KO here)
8 - supportive (dispels anything, but can't do boost, nor heal)
9 - defensive (blocks everything supernatural, but not normal attacks)
overall - 6 (not that bad)

Quote:
Kamachi tried to instill the same values into Mikoto, as we have seen with Railgun, but he has never given her a chance to back up her words. She has never been in a dangerous situation where she is only a 'normal' girl.
Fight with Frenda. Mikoto got her ass kicked when Frenda bluffed with the exploding gas.
Quote:
But Touma isn't a perfect hero... Not yet at least... Because Kamachi has forgotten the basic rule and that is every Hero needs a perfect Villain; Someone who is his mirror opposite, the ideal foil, the one that matches him in every way and for god sake won't become his friend or rival =_=
All his enemies were turned into his rivals (accel) or friends (the rest)
But I agree, he needs an enemy he is unable to beat, it would make thinghts more interesting. (Not counting Kanzaki, Aqua, Tsuchimikado and other not-really-villains here)