View Single Post
Old 2011-11-08, 06:38   Link #65
Sol Falling

lol wow, four pages already. Just yesterday I came to realize that what I've really been missing in my life this season/lately has been a bit of SHAFT. And so I wondered a bit about what I'd see next from them. This announcement kinda brings it home that SHAFT has really hit the big time. With [Nise/Kizu]monogatari on the horizon, and three Madoka movies in the works, much as I'm a big fan of both these franchises, what I'm really hoping is that they'll still have time for their more quirky, humbler works.

Anyway, Madoka movies, huh. The comparison brought up to stuff like mainstream shounen movies is kinda interesting, because much as Madoka has been called a "social phenomenon", in truth, all of the avenues of access to the series (NicoNico broadcasts, >1:00 am late night airings, expensive Bluerays) ultimately still seem oriented towards the "enthusiast" crowd. Although, after all the examples of "high criticism" of Madoka I've seen popping up in the wiki, I've come to appreciate the serious merit this series could potentially offer if understood as a piece of literature, I'm thinking that a box-office theatrical release could potentially spread Madoka's impact as a phenomenon even further to a mainstream, adult audience.

I wonder if SHAFT/Aniplex are mindful of this and taking these possibilities into consideration. Coincidences converged this year to grant Madoka the weight/imprint of something of a watershed significance in Japanese popular culture. I'm sure, even beyond the 70,000 BD/DVD's they've sold, many Japanese people must've heard of it without having any comprehensive or directed exposure. The conversion of Madoka for theatrical presentation is a direct opportunity to reach such individuals. For these reasons I am hoping that even in recompositing the original series SHAFT takes as many liberties as it likes.

lol, it would be great to leave the second movie on a cliffhanger. That would kick ass. I think the degree to which SHAFT show's an interest in shifting around with the old material will be in direct proportion to my hype. Well, suffice it to say, I'm excited by the possibilities.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote