View Single Post
Old 2012-08-30, 04:53   Link #30262
Kealym

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuraTwilight View Post
All that is information given to us by Yasu's message bottles, though, and she didn't communicate with him at all during those six years. Unless she wrote the message bottles during that family conference weekend, her depiction of Battler has no basis in fact.
Well, assuming we have to restrict ourselves solely to what Yasu would reasonably know (a notion that annoys me a little, but whatever, it makes sense), she's basing her written Battler on the Battler she actually knows, the letters he sent in 1983, and any information one would gleam from casual conversation since then, since it was only in 1983 that she even learned Battler was in contact with Kyrie. And if we're giving Yasu enough credit to somehow be in the know about a baby switch, a casual "Oh, and how is Battler-sama this year..?" shouldn't be out of the question, even for her, right? Hell, in 1985 (and maaaaybe 84) she could even gleam a little bit of info from Ange who was part of Mariage Sorciere for awhile.

I would also point out that none of the humans is really shown to undergo a huge shift in character over that stretch of time (except Maria and Ange, who were still growing into having a character), and that despite his importance to Yasu, Battler tends to play a relatively small role in forgery narratives (that is, considering that the magic narrative grew pretty substantial after Legend).

I must admit that there is a mention of difference she makes between "the Battler I believed in" and "the Battler George and Jessica kept telling me about", but, I mean, I really wouldn't doubt Battler's presentation in the forgeries any more than I'd doubt Jessica's, or Krauss's, or Kumasawa's. :-/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder Book View Post
Seriously, what was the point of comparing Battler to his delusional murderer and incestuous rapist of a grandfather at the end of the day?
Mm, well, they did both attempt to "revive Beatrice", Kinzo (pretty crazily) in the human world, and Battler (somewhat unreasonably) in the Meta world. Both of them trying to reshape "something they had made" into "something they wanted it to resemble, from their past".. ?

Or maybe just to give Ryu an avenue to feel like basing Young!Kinzo on Battler wasn't cheating at all.
Kealym is offline   Reply With Quote