Thread: Smile Precure
View Single Post
Old 2013-02-21, 15:54   Link #840
4Tran

Episode 32

We continue where we left off with Joker stealing most of the Precures. Miyuki shows off how dumb she is by letting him do the same thing to her, and Candy doesn't want to be left out, so she joins them as well.

Overall, it's a pretty standard "break out from mind-control/amnesia" episode with a dose of "keep getting beat up until you finally win" thrown in. It's pretty pleasant overall, but I would have liked to see something more interesting than just Cure Happy doing all of the heavy lifting. The Phoenix doesn't really add a whole lot to the Precures' finisher - although it should be noted that these look a lot better than the ones in Dokidoki.

This episode also demonstrates how effective Joker is as a character. His role couldn't be authentically pulled off by any of the other generals. That scene in the imaginary classroom was executed pretty well - it managed to generate disquiet without having to use any overly heavy-handed techniques. I still think that I prefer the random fun episodes more, though.

Episode 33

This episode doesn't stand out enough to justify a new post. It's pretty much a bog standard "everyone's in a film" episode. The problem with these is that they tend to be too cheesy to maintain any versimillitude, so it ends up being a lot less fun than it could have been. Pop being cool, and Red Oni's love of Blue Oni were the best parts of the episode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling View Post
HeartCatch's ending is the only ending I can say was good on a symbolic/conceptual level. The drama with Yuri's father leading up to it made that finale singularly defining. Dune also never wasted a whole bunch of time monologuing about pointless shit like why he could "never" be beaten. The only reason Smile beats out Heartcatch for me is because the regular episodes were more consistently entertaining, and the characters I liked (Erika in Heartcatch's case, versus Reika and Yayoi in Smile) didn't end up getting pushed completely into the background by the arrival of new Precure.
I've been watching a few episodes of Heartcatch, and I'm taken by how good the random episodes are. Everything from the animation to the choreography to the writing shows off how much care and effort was put into the show. I don't know if any future Precure shows are going to get showered with this much love again because it feels like they broke the bank in terms of budget.

Last edited by 4Tran; 2013-02-22 at 11:57. Reason: Added episode 33 comment
4Tran is offline   Reply With Quote