View Single Post
Old 2013-03-28, 08:51   Link #213
Xagzan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
I don't think it's possible for Square to remake FFVII without changing the game mechanics.

While I do think they could easily remake the ATB battle system since it would just be a modification of what XIII is already, I don't think they have what it takes to recreate FFVII's massive open world in HD graphics. Instance-based areas like a town or dungeon area is very possible, since that's what they already do with FFXIII and the Kingdom Hearts series: load one section of the area you are in like a "room", then load the next when you reach the "door" of that room to the next area.

Rendering a large, open world seamlessly however is an entirely different ordeal however. It would be too large of a strain if the processing unit has to load every single texture and model required on the world, so what most open world MMORPGs like WoW, Perfect World, etc and other games with an overworld like The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Super Mario 64, etc. do is that they limit your field of vision, where certain landscapes and other models don't appear until you are within a certain distance from the thing that needs to be loaded.
Other games like Tales of Symphonia, and Final Fantasy VII itself have their corners cut by chibifying the models on the overworld. The models are shrunken and far less detailed, making them easier to render.
I'm no tech genius: why were graphics like this possible then? Just because of the animation style?

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maw View Post

It was Towns not shops (which FFXIII-2 had anyway). To be quite frank they aren't be far the only one ones having trouble in this area. Hell, Xenoblade barely has any buildings the player can enter and most of cities vary between one to two screens despite being the most expansive game this gen. Most other RPGs nowadays either have one hub with limited interaction or the buildings are just window dressing.
Actually the first real town I'm seeing in Ni No Kuni reminds me of the old school FFs more than any other RPG I've played in recent memory. You have your mostly linear streets, several shops and inn that you can enter and are stunningly detailed (duh, Ghibli), and I'm presuming there are a couple of other buildings open to you. It's really quite refreshing...in a familiar sort of way.

Yes, Xenoblade was vast and open, with a "go absolutely anywhere as long as it's in this outside area" attitude, but in exchange for this it sacrificed more interactivity with the environment. NNK, as far as towns are concerned at least, seems to have gone the opposite direction.
Xagzan is offline   Reply With Quote