View Single Post
Old 2011-11-25, 03:48   Link #61
Ermes Marana

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Certainly there are more TV shows

Are there? 2006 still has the records for the most tv shows and the most shows overall. 2006 and 2007 both have more 3+ ep shows than any other years. 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 are the years with the most 20+ ep shows (2010 is below 1998 and 1999).

So no, there aren't really more shows (at least not in 2008-2010). And there certainly isn't more play time, because shows have gotten shorter on average.

Late 90s anime ≠ early/mid 2000s anime ≠ current anime

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
As I recommended in my original point, throw that entire term out; it's completely useless, loaded, and is only resulting in endless back and forth about "what is moe" and "what isn't moe". What has actually changed?

Unfortunately, it isn't that easy. You will always end up going back and forth on something subjective.

For example, I would say that one of the major factors is the increase in popularity of young female characters who are targeted at 20-something men, and are not relatable or very interesting. The top sales lists provide some evidence of the first part because there are lots of seinen shows starring young girls.

However, whether or not the characters are relatable or interesting enough to justify their starring role, or whether their starring role was earned only by the archetype they fit, is subjective. And it will always be subjective.

Last edited by Ermes Marana; 2011-11-25 at 23:00.
Ermes Marana is offline   Reply With Quote