View Single Post
Old 2008-03-31, 10:14   Link #251
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Going back to this from 11 hours ago, but with 2 pages having passed it seems like an eternity. But I'll try to make it brief this time since the rest of the forum has moved on...It was incredibly important that Noe no longer had a piece of his heart, and that he make it crystal clear to Hiromi that she was the only girl for him. That's the point! The power of the preceeding scene was precisely that: him abandoning his feelings for Noe. Him saying that he still has feelings for another girl would have ruined everything that farewell scene was trying to portray, and the trust Noe asked Shinichirou to have in her. It would have meant that there was still an "opening" and that's what caused the entire misunderstanding between Shinichirou's parents in the past.

So, in my opinion, the words the writers chose here were essential, and if they had changed it to what you think they meant to imply, it would have ruined the entire ending. Sorry for being blunt, but I felt that the point of the scene was: no more doubts, no more regrets. That's why his farewell to Noe was so painful, and why the timing was critical. So this is why I wasn't "preaching to the choir" on this one; I disagree with your suggestion for storytelling reasons (though I can certiainly respect that that's your opinion).
I will have to disagree here. Everything was right, except storytelling--how the scene was presented, and that ruined everything. To me, the scene completely missed its mark. I agree with relentlessflame that it was obvious at that point Shin was trying to sever his feelings and that he was not confused. However, it wasn't emotional at all, and I seriously cringe at its presentation.

For an anime like this, the "fly" and "true tears" portion should have been better integrated into its romance aspect, and that is all I have to say. The plot itself was unnecessarily confusing, and the ending wasn't as powerful as I would have liked. It was sort of like True Tears tried to copy Air/Haibane Renmei and failed, because they laid out the backbone for some powerful symbolic theme but everyone figured out what was going to happen by episodes 11-12 and its romance ended the story. For me True Tears ended a long time ago, and it doesn't really matter which girl wins after that. True Tears completely missed the mark, but it was wonderful romance-wise.