View Single Post
Old 2011-12-31, 14:01   Link #468
TJR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vena View Post
We're in an increasingly digital age too, and more and more people do not want to buy something that they can get from a digital download which takes: virtually no space, can be acquired instantly, and is usually cheaper than going out to a middle-man store and buying something.
Digital distribution is picking up in Japan. However, I understand that they're still way behind the western markets, whether we're referring to video, music, or games. Only their mobile content (i.e. social gaming) is booming.

Quote:
From an US side of sales figures, I wonder if the anime industry makes much of anything off of Hulu, Crunchy, and other streamers, because that is probably one of the few ways for the anime industry to really set a foothold in the US.
They're making money. However, it's apparently not enough to be a big deal to anyone (still a potential area for growth as opposed to a reliable means of sustaining the industry).

Quote:
Unfortunately, much of Exile has been riding on the success and greatness of the original that, for many, hasn't been captured very well with our new main cast (though the old cast is resparking some of the old flare). I have to wonder if they wouldn't have been better off with keeping the old cast (without the new one which seems to have been done more to pander than for the sake of the story) and making the current manga into the anime, and the current anime into the manga.
Last Exile was never a humungous hit in Japan. Also, eight years have gone by, so I don't imagine that the original is particularly relevant to the majority of viewers.

To some degree, Gonzo is trying to have it both ways. They want a product that's true to their heritage and marketable to older fans (including western markets). However, they also need to appeal to contemporary consumers.
TJR is offline   Reply With Quote