View Single Post
Old 2013-05-07, 17:25   Link #962
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

All politics involves word loading - it is basic to the topic. Define the words being used and you can control the debate before it starts.

I try not to use the word "pirate" or "piracy" in regard to copyright issues. Piracy is about killing people, looting the corpses, and sinking/stealing the ships. Not the same thing at all as making a digital copy ("replicators").

I avoid the word "intellectual property" because it isn't a legal term, it's a conflation of copyright, patent, and trademark laws - all very different things. It also tries to create the bogus idea of ideas or thoughts as "property" which has legal precedent only as a term for physical artifacts.

Anti-choice versus pro-life ... because pro-lifers are also very often "don't care after you're born" types (raise the hypocrisy flag).

Yeah, the "entitlement" mislabeling is particularly infuriating. Should I call tax evasion by large corporations "entitlements"? They don't even pay into the system like Social Security participants do.

Example abound through time and space. Control the language and you can corral the argument be you left, right, up or down.