View Single Post
Old 2008-02-21, 10:07   Link #93
Daiz
Pioneer in Fansub 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by pichus View Post
Not to sound arrogant, but ... Why bother even using handwriting fonts or your so-called 'highlighted' handwriting fonts when they don't even match? Won't using a sans font like Arial bold be more readable than your selection of handwriting fonts? And need I repeat that I already matched an EXACT font? Why using other font when I could have used an EXACT font that's used in the animation? There are more stuff than just angles, colors, fonts, and sizes in signs typesetting...
I'm not exactly complaining about the fonts... There is something else that actually is bad in your example. Take a look at this image explanation:

http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/6...iswrongnm4.jpg

Like I've said, there's nothing wrong with trying to have "font perfection", but this is not it. You have good fonts, but they cause readability problems. I would actually call this bad typesetting because of this. Not even the best fonts can save anything if you can't read the text in question properly.

The version I made might be "cruder" when it comes to the fonts itself, but it doesn't fail in readability. Like you said, there are more stuff than just angles, colors, fonts and sizes in sign typesetting. Readability is one of them. It seems to me that you forgot this yourself in this case.

If possible, can you post more examples of what you have done? As far as I know, this might be just a special occasion where the readability is bad, but if this problem repeats then I think you have found something where you have room for improvement.

Also, you didn't answer my question the last time, so I'll ask it again: Have you thought about replacing the original Japanese text with the translated versions? It shouldn't be exactly hard to do, and since you have good fonts, it shouldn't dramatically change anything either. Instead, the readability would become instantly better, because there would be no unknown signs to confuse the viewers' thought process. But if the show has lots of other signs and lots of up-to-down writing, one replaced text might look funny, so it might not be a good idea after all. But like I said, I wouldn't know, since I haven't watched School Days.

Last edited by Daiz; 2008-02-21 at 10:20.
Daiz is offline   Reply With Quote