View Single Post
Old 2012-09-25, 09:47   Link #148
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gohan78 View Post
I can almost believe that KYH felt an attraction towards Haru for his potential in the game but I don't buy that she was so madly in love with him as to risk her life to save him from the speeding car. People with a higher threshold for suspension of disbelief than myself will accept it. I don't, sorry.
Despite that, I grew attached to KYH over the course of the series and I really think she is awesome. It's just that the romance scenes between her and Porky don't work for me.
I don't know in her case I believe it. She seems to love making these big gestures of her devotion to him and has a habit of doing them in ways that provoke attention. For example she set the whole thing up where he came to meet her in the lounge in front of everybody and then proceeded to cable with him. She also stepped in the way of Araya's punch just so that she'd get hit too and enhance the impact of the scene. Another example would be her travelling 15 hours to get to the scene of the battle royal and then openly admit that she overdid it afterward almosy coyly. Also at that time Haru really didn't trust her at all yet so she seemed to figure that she needed to make a big gesture to show she was serious and when that opportunity presented itself....well as I said in her case given how hardcore she can be about things and how she doesn't seem to have much regard for her own personal safety it's not to hard to believe.

Quote:
IMHO an "asspull" is when the author breaks the rules he himself established for his own world without a reasonable explanation.
An example in AW is in the Okinawa arc. A huge issue in AW is that when a Burst Linker loses all her points she loses all the memories of BB and she can't login anymore. Except that Megumi was able to login one last time to help Lotus. Literally, she came, worked her magic and went away. That was a deus-ex-machina if I ever saw one.
Yeah that one definitely was weird. Both the AW and SAO side arcs kind of have the feeling of being less well structured and operating outside the rules of what was established in the main arcs at times I will admit.