View Single Post
Old 2010-02-24, 11:51   Link #125
edkedkedk
Hare Hare Sera Fuku!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
Unless he's lying about the lie, in which case he really is like this normally but is trying to throw off Kyon for his own purposes...ok, let's stop this here, this way lies madness.

You know, I don't envy Kyon a bit in all this. Sure he's surrounded by cute girls, two of whom have gone to extraordinary lengths to prove their attraction to him, but balanced against that you have a web of lies, deceit, and mystery wrapped around him and the others to do a spy novel proud. Oh, and by the way, mess up whatever unfathomable choice you have to make next, and the universe as you know it has a strong chance of going kablooie. And those people with you whom you're not sure you can trust? They're the key to solving the crisis of the week. Fun times.
Well there has to be downside to being the Most Important Person in the Universe

I always wondered though, if one day Haruhi gives up on Kyon and never cares about him anymore, will the SOS Brigade still be as loyal to Kyon as they are now? After all, their mission objective is Haruhi, not Kyon. All this attention he's getting is a result of Haruhi choosing him specifically; what if he lost that privilege? Will Mikuru still fawn over him? Will Yuki still protect him and listen to his words? More importantly for this thread, will Koizumi still be his friend?

Back to Koizumi, I think part of what makes him so interesting is his way of speaking. Technically, what he says isn't a lie, yet he withholds part of it as he sees fit. There is no reason at all for Koizumi to trust in the SOS Brigade; he is a man on a mission, and while he says on more than one occasion he enjoys the company of Haruhi and Kyon, he never refers to them as friends (correct me if I'm wrong). My viewpoint of Koizumi changed when in Snowy Mountain

Spoiler for Snowy Mountain Koizumi:

For me, that was the point he became more human and less of an enigma. Of course, people may doubt the truth of his words, but Koizumi's status really evolves throughout the novels. Kyon relies on him because he can give a understandable and human viewpoint of things despite Kyon's apparent loathing of Koizumi. You can definitely trust Koizumi's words; just that what he gives may not be the whole truth, keeping an element of surprise if he needs it. Just like I speculated, Koizumi revealed his Closed Space esper powers; what he doesn't tell others are the enhanced powers he presumably has. He springs that element of surprise on Kyon in Sigh, preventing things from getting further complicated. Heck, he even loses his smile there and then.

I agree, Mikuru is the least trustworthy of the SOS Brigade. There is a darker side to each and every member of the SOS Brigade, behind the smiles and fun they have. It's awesome to explore theses sides because the tension is definitely there, yet it's gelled together by a common goal; Haruhi.