Thread: Koimoku
View Single Post
Old 2011-12-13, 07:24   Link #93
KLGChaos
The Shermain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Board View Post
Well.. I applaud him

IDY the opposite of most Japanese manga author who are so afraid of offending the audience

Example:

Oh, that girl is not a mean spirited, she's just tsundere. She really wants the main character's cock.

Oh, that proud honor student girl is insecure of her home making skills. She wants to be approved as a good girlfriend, after all.

Oh, that girl who tease boys and says lewd things is really a virgin. God forbid if the main character gets someone else's sloppy seconds, right?

But this isn't giving your characters realistic flaws to me.

This is an example of the shounen manga industry trying to make a female character less threatening to the reader's ego.

So it's refreshing to me to see this kind of character. I hope IDY doesn't try to soften the blow using methods similar to those listed above.

My only regret is that IDY had to use a man as her obsession. It always has to be a man, doesn't it? So in a way it still falls under the "Women are allowed to have ambitions as long it is related to gaining favor from a man" rule, I see too often in manga.

I mean, this chapter totally failed the Bechdel test
There's a huge difference between the characters being flawed and being psychos. Most of the girls he writes falls into the latter category or are at the very least extremely bi-polar, which leads to them being very unlikable. To me, it's just an inability to write convincing, realistic characters.

Of course, to be fair, the artwork doesn't help. Lee's artwork always makes women look like they're insane. It's the eyes.

The editor is this just comes off as mean. Whatever OZMA did to her, it's like she taking it out on the MC and basically trying to destroy him, his dreams and any creativity he has, most likely due to the fact that he idolizes OZMA and reminds her of him. The new girl evidenced this by the fact that she obviously thought his manuscript was good, yet it was rejected. If she was hurt that badly that she has to take it out on the new guy, she needs therapy as she's definitely damaged.

Doesn't help that the lead guy is a spineless dipwad.

Last edited by KLGChaos; 2011-12-13 at 07:36.